Peter Fassbender was elected for the first time as a Councillor to City of Langley Council in November 2002 and then as Mayor in the November 2005, 2008 and 2011 Civic elections. Prior to his election Mayor Fassbender has served the community and region in a host of other volunteer capacities and served on numerous national, provincial and civic committees. Mayor Fassbender has been recognized as a leader in his community and the region and was recently awarded a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal (nominated for three separate medals), two prestigious awards by the British Columbia Library Trustee Association for his leadership in that area.
Currently and during his tenure on council, Mayor Fassbender serves on most civic Committees and boards including some of the following:
- Chair BC Pavilion Corporation Board of Directors
- Member of Board of Directors Prime BC
- Member of World Vision Board of Directors and Chair of the Governance Committee
- Former Chair, Fraser Valley Regional Library Board
- Co- Chair RCMP/Mayors Consultative Forum
- Co-Chair Fraser Health Municipal Advisory Council
- Co-Chair Local Government Contract Management Committee (RCMP Contract)
- Member of Federal/Provincial/Territorial Contact Management Committee
- Former Chair, Vice Chair and current member Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation
- Metro Vancouver Board Alternate
- Member Metro Vancouver Transportation Committee
- Member Metro Vancouver Aboriginal Affairs Committee
- Metro Vancouver Representative on Union of BC Municipalities Executive
- Chair, Public Safety Committee
- Chair, Police Advisory Committee
- Chair, Social Planning Committee
- Former Trustee Langley School Board
- Former President of BC Sports Federation
- Member Selection Panel 2010/2011 BC Achievement Awards
Married to his wife Charlene for 45 years, they have two adult sons and three grandchildren. Peter and Charlene, both of whom were raised in Surrey, graduated from Queen Elizabeth High School and have lived South of the Fraser for over 40 years and are both active in a number of community activities.
In his business career Peter Fassbender worked in radio and television as well as a number of other communications fields. For 29 years in his career he was a partner and senior executive with DDB Canada (formerly Palmer Jarvis), one of Canada’s largest and most successful marketing and communications firms. In that capacity he dealt with both public and private sector clients at the local, national, and international levels. A major focus of his private sector career focused on social marketing campaigns including smoking cessation projects for Health Canada and international marketing activities for Industry Canada.
Peter also a number of years ago helped establish the first Earth Day International Awards presented at UN Headquarters in New York and via satellite in Germany and Los Angeles. These awards were used to recognize international celebrities who had made significant contributions to the environment. He is often sought out as a speaker on a variety of public, social, business, communication and marketing issues.
Peter’s vision for the Province is to see the needs of all citizens from youth to seniors met while maintaining balanced budgets fiscal responsibility. Social issues, economic growth transportation, business and residential revitalization and long term planning have been high on his agenda.